Vistakon Award of Excellence in Contact Lens Patient Care
To recognize outstanding 4th year student clinicians who have demonstrated excellence in contact lens patient care during their optometric education.
Award and Eligibility
Sponsored by Vistakon®, one $1,000 award and a personalized plaque is awarded to a graduating fourth-year student at each of the North-American schools and colleges of Optometry.
The appropriate award selection committee at each of the schools/colleges of optometry will select the one student who meets the eligibility requirements and best demonstrates the qualities detailed in the criteria. The AOF will not accept applications directly from students.
Outstanding clinical patient care as demonstrated by the student’s: (a) overall knowledge in the contact lens field, and (b) skillful, considerate and professional care of his/her contact lens patients.
The Nomination Form 2014 is provided directly to institution contacts via email during the opening of the submission window, no more than 2 months prior to deadline.
Completed nomination forms should be sent via email to: AOF@aaoptom.org with the subject line: Vistakon AOE + institution name.
DEADLINE IS APRIL 11, 2014.
Notification and Conferment
Each school or college will contact its award winner. The AOF will send the award to the school or college or directly to the student. Likewise, depending on the prevailing policy of the school or college, checks may be made out directly to the student or to the institution for application to the student’s financial aid. In either case, a W9 form (or W-8BEN if non-U.S. resident) must be submitted or be on file.
Awards are generally mailed 4-6 weeks after deadline. If permissible, the award presentation maybe presented by a Vistakon representative, assigned to each specific school or college of optometry, at the institution’s awards ceremony.
All award recipients by application/nomination and acceptance of an award agree to allow the AOF and/or the sponsor of the program to which they applied to publish their name, image, institution information, and any statement or quote provided by the recipient. These will appear in a variety of media formats that will announce and promote the program including, but not limited to, the AOF and/or sponsor annual report, website, social media, annual meeting promotional materials or press release.
Please direct any questions about this program to: Tracy Kitts, Foundation Coordinator, at: AOF@aaoptom.org or 321-710-3936.
ORLANDO, Fla. (May 28, 2014) – The American Optometric Foundation (AOF) is pleased to announce the 2014 Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc., Award of Excellence in Contact Lens Patient Care program recipients. This award recognizes outstanding fourth-year student clinicians who have demonstrated excellent overall knowledge of the contact lens field plus skillful, considerate and professional care of contact lens patients during their optometric education. "The American Optometric Foundation is extremely grateful to Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc., for their continued support of this program." said current AOF President Kathy Dumbleton. Each winner receives a $1,000 education award and a personalized plaque commemorating their accomplishment.
2014 recipients and institution attended:
- Devon Veit, OD - Illinois College of Optometry
- J. Alex Jones, OD - Indiana University at Bloomington School of Optometry
- Rakesh Lakhani, OD - Inter-American University of Puerto Rico School of Optometry
- Hin Cheung, OD - Michigan College of Optometry at Ferris State University
- Kirk Kaupke, OD - Midwestern University Arizona College of Optometry
- Cheryl Zabrowski, OD - New England College of Optometry
- Mollie J. Golden, OD - Northeastern State University Oklahoma College of Optometry
- Heather McCarthy, OD - Nova Southeastern University College of Optometry
- Stephanie Lynn Pisano, OD - The Ohio State University College of Optometry
- Kate Dalrymple, OD - Pacific University College of Optometry
- Ryan Jonathan Beers, OD - Pennsylvania College of Optometry at Salus University
- Zeal Shah, OD - Rosenberg School of Optometry, University of the Incarnate Word
- Tiffany Gates, OD - Southern California College of Optometry
- Andrew Bradbury, OD - Southern College of Optometry
- John Gialousakis, OD - State University of New York College of Optometry
- Laura Lusk McDaniel, OD - University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Optometry
- Jeffry Wu, OD - University of California - Berkeley School of Optometry
- Jayanna Byrd, OD - University of Houston College of Optometry
- Karla R. Hafford, OD - University of Missouri - St. Louis College of Optometry
- Joannie Collin-Ferland, OD - University of Montreal School of Optometry
- Mark Rowsell, OD - University of Waterloo School of Optometry and Vision Science
- Keith Shimizu, OD - Western University of Health Sciences, College of Optometry