Beta Sigma Kappa (BSK) Student Travel Grant
Beta Sigma Kappa (BSK) and the American Optometric Foundation (AOF) have partnered to present the first BSK Student Travel Fellowship at the American Academy of Optometry (AAO) Meeting in November 2016. One grant, in the amount of $750, will be awarded annually.
Travel Fellowship applications are evaluated by the Academy’s Research Committee.
Award and Eligibility:
- Student MUST be a member of the American Academy of Optometry. To become a student member, download the Student Application Form (PDF).
- Student MUST be a member of the Beta Sigma Kappa (BSK) International Optometric Honor Society.
- Optometry students who are currently enrolled full-time as a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year student.
- Short essay (300 - 500 words) on the subject "Why I want to attend the AAO meeting and how it will help me contribute to the profession in the fututre."
- If applicable, submit a copy of the accepted paper or poster abstract.
Materials MUST be submitted online by the deadline date (shown below) using the online submission tool. Applications that remain incomplete after the deadline date will not be evaluated.
Although students can apply to attend a meeting for which they have previously been awarded a travel fellowship, priority may be given to first-time awardees.
It is the standard policy of the AOF that program recipients who receive, as part of their award, a travel stipend to attend an event, cannot also receive a second or duplicate travel stipend from the Foundation or its affiliate, the AAO.
Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision prior to the Academy annual meeting. The award checks will be presented to the awardees during the meeting. Recipients are required to attend both the BSK meeting (time/date to be determined) and the AOF Celebration Luncheon on Saturday, November 12, 2016 from 11 AM to 1 PM to receive their award checks.
All award recipients by application and acceptance of an award agree to allow the AOF and/or the sponsor of the program to which they applied to publish their name, image, institution information, and any statement or quote provided by the recipient. These may appear in a variety of media formats that will announce and promote the program including, but not limited to, the AOF and/or sponsor annual report, website, annual meeting promotional materials.
Program window for submission opens July 1st with a deadline for application of August 1, 2016
Please direct all questions regarding this program to:
Jennifer Rubin @ Jenniferr@aaoptom.org