Florida Chapter of the American Academy of Optometry
The Florida Chapter of the American Academy of Optometry received their Charter December 4, 1948. The Chapter held regular meetings in Central Florida and began organized educational events in 1982. In 1999 the meeting moved to its current home at the Mission Inn Resort and Club located in Howey-In-The-Hills, Florida. The meeting has a tradition of beginning with a golf scramble on Friday morning, education with dinner Friday afternoon and finishes Saturday early afternoon. Net proceeds from the educational event have traditionally gone to help students attend the Academy National Convention.
The next meeting will be April 21-22, 2017. Featured speaker will be Dr. Carlo Pelino offering 6 hours of CE/TQ. Medical Errors and Florida Jurisprudence will be offered on Friday evening. Come early for the golf on Friday morning. Plan a weekend and enjoy the comfortable accommodations of Mission Inn. Contact Art Young for registration firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2016 meeting featured Dr. Paul Karpecki, and Dr. Joe Pizzimenti on topics of dry eye and retinal tomography. Attendance included 95 doctors with representatives from Florida, West Virginia, Minnesota, Kentucky, Virginia, Connecticut and Wisconsin.
Students Sponsored to Anaheim 2016
Chapter was fortunate to sponsor 4 students from Nova Southeastern College of Optometry to the 2016 Academy Conference in Anaheim, CA:
- Samantha Kayser, Nova Southeastern University, College of Optometry
- Vy Pham, Nova Southeastern University, College of Optometry
- Chelsea Heck, Nova Southeastern University, College of Optometry
- Dreka Williams, Nova Southeastern University, College of Optometry
- President – Charles Heacock, OD, FAAO
- Vice President – Jeff Timko, OD, FAAO
- Secretary - Pam Helbling, OD, FAAO
- Treasurer – Art Young, OD, FAAO
- Director – Joe Yager, OD, FAAO