The submission window opens May 15, 2020 and closes July 15, 2020.
Each proposal must contain the following components:
- Cover page: project title, institution and address, name (including degree(s)) and titles for Principal Investigator (and a maximum of three Co-Investigators) with contact information.
- Introduction: background and significance; specific aims; preliminary studies; and study design and methods. This section should total no more than 5 pages.
- References (maximum of 1 page)
- Budget and budget justification (maximum of 1 page) *NOTE: It is the policy of the Foundation not to cover indirect cost.
- Biographical sketch(es) of Principal Investigator and up to three Co-Investigators (maximum of 2 pages for each investigator) that must include:
- Full contact information
- Education/training; research and professional experience; honors and awards
- A copy of three key papers by the Principal Investigator that best represent his or her scientific publications (do not include abstracts, theses, or other applications). May include copies of papers in press.
- A signed Letter of Assurance (one page) by Dean or President indicating that the proposal has been reviewed and meets with the standards of the institution and, if warranted, observes all rules and regulations regarding compliance with research on human or animal subjects.
- Signed AAOF Research Agreement once recipient is chosen and before money is disbursed.
The AAO Research Committee and external reviewers with topical expertise, as needed, provide a scientific merit review. All applicants will receive a detailed summary statement. Following scientific review, the Programs Approval Committee (PAC) selects recipients based on merit and programmatic goals. Results are provided to the Foundation Board for final decisions on funding.
Priority will be given to North American applicants but is not a requirement to apply.
All proposals must be submitted by email in PDF form to: AAOF@aaoptom.org and contain in the subject title: Allergan Foundation Research + (Principal Investigator Last Name).
Applicants will receive a confirmation receipt by email from the AAOF within 3 business days after submission. Files exceeding 10 MB must be broken into separate smaller units to allow passage through internet security measures.
The AAOF is a non-profit organization and our policy is not to cover any indirect costs associated with the Allergan Foundation Research Program or any other of our programs.
The award recipient and an institution representative will be invited to attend the next AAO annual meeting in order to be recognized and participate at AAOF events and the annual AAOF Celebration Luncheon held on Saturday.
Any manuscript or publication material produced must acknowledge the American Academy of Optometry Foundation and The Allergan Foundation.
Recipients are encouraged to submit a manuscript to Optometry and Vision Science.
All award recipients by application and acceptance of an award agree to allow the AAOF and/or the sponsor of the program to which they applied to publish their name, image, institution information, and any statement or quote provided by the recipient. These may appear in a variety of media formats that will announce and promote the program including, but not limited to, the AAOF’s and/or sponsor’s annual report, website, annual meeting promotional materials.
For additional information contact Jennifer Rubin, Foundation Program Manager, at: 321-319-4870 or AAOF@aaoptom.org.