The submission window opens April 1, 2021 and closes June 1, 2021.
One award will be granted to any optometrist currently serving in a 2020 - 2021 academic year calendar residency through a North American school, college of optometry is eligible to apply. Anyone who has yet to begin a residency for the 2020- 21 academic year calendar is ineligible.
Applications must be submitted via our online submission system and must include the following:
- The applicant must be a member of the American Academy of Optometry (AAO); whether as a student, candidate, or Fellow at the time of acceptance of any award. To learn more, visit the AAO website: Student Membership for student membership information and Candidate for Fellowship for how to become a Fellow.
- A brief description of the residency program.
- CV with applicant's education, clinical, research, teaching experience, honors, in the form of a PDF.
- A one-page statement of career goals and list the date/status of when AAO membership was obtained.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons qualified to comment on educational qualifications, research abilities, and potential. One of which must be the Residency Director or Program Coordinator of the institution. The recommender will receive an email once the applicant has submitted their application with directions on how to upload their letter.
Proposals will be reviewed by a peer review committee established by the American Academy of Optometry Foundation with the assistance of the AAO Low Vision Section Chair. The applicants will be evaluated primarily on the basis of their educational background and their ability and potential as teachers, researchers, and practitioners in the field of low vision.
It is the standard policy of the AAOF that an award recipient who receives, as part of any award, a travel stipend to attend an event, cannot also receive a second travel stipend from the Foundation or its affiliate, the AAO.
Any time prior to the opening of the application window the AAOF and/or the award sponsor may make changes to the award guidelines. Applicants are reminded to please review all information before submitting their application to ensure all award criteria are met.
All award recipients by application and acceptance of an award agree to allow the AAOF and/or the sponsor of the award to which they applied to publish their name, image, institution information, and any statement or quote provided by the recipient. These will appear in a variety of media formats that will announce and promote the award including, but not limited to, the AAOF and/or sponsor annual report, website, annual meeting promotional materials.
For further information contact:
Awards and Student Membership Engagement Manager
622 E. Washington St #300
Orlando, FL 32801