The submission window opens April 1, 2020 and closes June 1, 2020.
One award will be granted to any optometrist currently serving in a 2019 - 20 academic year calendar contact lens residency through a North-American school, college of optometry is eligible to apply. Anyone who has yet to begin a residency for the 2019- 20 academic year calendar is ineligible.
Applications must be submitted via our online submission system and must include the following:
- The applicant must be a member of the American Academy of Optometry (AAO); whether as a student, candidate, or Fellow at the time of acceptance of any award. To learn more, visit the AAO website: Student Membership for student membership information and Candidate for Fellowship for how to become a Fellow.
- A brief description of the residency program.
- CV with applicant's education, clinical, research, teaching experience, honors, in the form of a PDF.
- A one-page statement of career goals and list the date/status of when AAO membership was obtained.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons qualified to comment on educational qualifications, research abilities, and potential. One of which must be the Residency Director or Program Coordinator of the institution. The recommender will receive an email once the applicant has submitted their application with directions on how to upload their letter.
**If you are applying for more than one contact lens award (Corwin, Wechsler, Mertz) then only ONE letter of recommendation from each recommender is needed**
Applications will be reviewed by the Cornea Contact Lens Refractive Technology (CCLRT) Section of the Academy. Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of their educational background, their ability, and their potential to advance in their career.
It is the standard policy of the AAOF that an award recipient who receives a travel stipend to attend an event, cannot receive a second travel stipend from the Foundation or its affiliate, the AAO.
Guidelines are subject to change as determined by the AAOF and/or the award sponsor. Applicants are reminded to please review all information before submitting their application to ensure it meets all criteria.
All award recipients by application and acceptance of an award agree to allow the AAOF and/or the sponsor of the award to which they applied to publish their name, image, institution information, and any statement or quote provided by the recipient. These will appear in a variety of media formats that will announce and promote the award including, but not limited to, the AAOF and/or sponsor annual report, website, and annual meeting promotional materials.
For further information contact:
Grants and Awards Manager
2909 Fairgreen Street
Orlando, FL 32803, USA