The submission window opens May 23, 2022 and closes July 15, 2022.
One award will be granted to an optometrist currently serving in a 2019 -20 academic year calendar advanced practice pediatric/vision therapy residency program through a North-American school or college of optometry may apply. Anyone who has yet to begin a residency for the 2019-20 academic year calendar is ineligible.
Applications must be submitted via our online submission system and must include the following:
- The applicant must be a member of the American Academy of Optometry (AAO); whether as a student, candidate, or Fellow at the time of acceptance of any award. To learn more, visit the AAO website: Student Membership for student membership information and Candidate for Fellowship for how to become a Fellow.
- A brief description of the residency program.
- CV with applicant's education, clinical, research, teaching experience, honors, in the form of a PDF.
- A one-page statement of career goals and list the date/status of when AAO membership was obtained.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons qualified to comment on educational qualifications, research abilities, and potential. One of which must be the Residency Director or Program Coordinator of the institution. The recommender will receive an email once the applicant has submitted their application with directions on how to upload their letter.
Proposals will be reviewed by a peer review committee established by the American Academy of Optometry Foundation with the assistance of the American Academy of Optometry Binocular Vision, Perception, and Pediatric Optometry Section chairs. The applicants will be evaluated primarily on the basis of their educational background and their ability and potential as teachers, researchers, and practitioners in the field of pediatric optometry. A preference will be given to applicants with an interest in the utilization of soft contact lenses in pediatric populations.
It is the standard policy of the AAOF that an award recipient who receives a travel stipend to attend an event, cannot also receive a second travel stipend from the Foundation or its affiliate, the AAO.
Prior to award submission window opeing, the guidelines for any given award are subject to change by the AAOF and/or the award sponsor. Applicants are reminded to please review all information before submitting their application to ensure it meets all criteria.
All award recipients by application and acceptance of an award agree to allow the AAOF and/or the sponsor of the award to which they applied to publish their name, image, institution information, and any statement or quote provided by the recipient. These will appear in a variety of media formats that will announce and promote the award including, but not limited to, the AAOF and/or sponsor annual report, website, annual meeting promotional materials.
For further information contact:
Grants and Awards Manager
2909 Fairgreen Street
Orlando, FL 32803, USA