The submission window opens January 1, 2021 and closes August 31, 2021.
Students are challenged to raise $750, either through gifts by fellow students or by fundraising initiatives. The AAOF would then match that amount so the AAO student chapter would be able to award two travel fellowships to the next AAO annual meeting. This could be accomplished through a variety of fundraising activities. Groups should work in consultation with their institution's AAO Student Chapter Liaison.
Students cannot petition or ask their institution, faculty, or industry, to provide the funds. This program is to facilitate student giving.
- Final selected nominees must be student members of the AAO. To learn more, visit: Student Membership
- Each student gift should be consistent with what the student member can afford. The goal is to have each member of the student chapter participate. Institutions and industry would be prohibited from contributing. This program is to facilitate student giving.
- Recipients shall be selected by a fair process open to all qualified chapter members regardless of the individual amount donated.
- Each AAO student chapter would collect the funds and write one $750 check to the AAOF. Mail to: AAOF/Attn: Jennifer Rubin 622 E. Washington St #300 Orlando, FL 32801
- The specific timeline concerning when the money needs to be given to the AAOF office would be determined by the AAOF and communicated to the AAO student chapter and liaison.
Here are some examples of methods for raising funds based on student comments:
- Post on social media and e-mail a challenge to students or have a class-to-class challenge
- Bake or food sales
- Car washes
- Selling eyeglass lapel pins
- Photo fundraiser. Charge a specified sum for unlimited photos with a prominent faculty member Dress up, theme it
- Lunch and learn. Raffle off an opportunity fo have a lunch and learn session with your institution leader
- Candy-gram sales
The AAO student chapter with the advice of the School/College Awards Committee and/or faculty advisor would determine which two students get the travel fellowships.
Completed Student Giving Nomination Form 2021 should be sent via email to AAOAwards@aaoptom.org with the subject line: Student Giving + Institution Name.
NOTIFICATION AND CONFERMENT
The AAOF will contact the award winners formally and provide information about AAOF events held during Academy. The award checks will be presented to the awardees during the annual meeting or shortly thereafter.
Travel checks will be made out directly to the student. A W9 form (or W-8BEN if non-U.S. resident) must be submitted or be on file at the AAO Office prior to release of any travel funds.
If the ability to send funds via ACH direct deposit becomes available the recipient will then provide the Foundation with their bank information to process the transfer.
All award recipients by application/nomination and acceptance of an award agree to allow the AAOF and/or the sponsor of the award to which they applied to publish their name, image, institution information, and any statement or quote provided by the recipient. These will appear in a variety of media formats that will announce and promote the program including, but not limited to, the AAOF and/or sponsor annual report, website, social media, annual meeting promotional materials or press release.
For further information contact:
Awards and Student Membership Engagement Manager
622 E. Washington St. #300
Orlando, FL 32801