Comprehensive Eye Care is a focus of practice activity that emphasizes the development and maintenance of a high level of knowledge and clinical ability over the entire area of eye/vision care and associated areas of eye-related health care.
The purpose of the Diplomate of the Comprehensive Eye Care Section program is to emphasize that diplomates must continually increase their competence in their practice of primary care optometry. The Diplomate Program is a distinction achieved by doctors of optometry who strive through their practice activities and through this program to attain a level of excellence in patient management beyond the regular American Academy of Optometry Fellowship program.
The mission of the Comprehensive Eye Care Section of the American Academy of Optometry is to serve the educational needs of its membership by advancing research, promoting innovative concepts in primary care, encouraging visionary thinking and supporting professional growth and ethical clinical practice. To achieve this mission, the Section has set forth the following goals.
- Develop, recommend and present continuing education courses, workshops and demonstrations to enhance patient care skills of optometrists interested in the breadth of field encompassed by the primary care practice
- Develop and present Section symposia that highlight recent advances in visual science research and clinical case information in primary care optometry
- Collaborate with other Academy Sections in the joint sponsorship of educational programs
- Set the standards of clinical competency and knowledge for optometrists interested in primary care optometry via the Diplomate Program
- Serve as a source of public information and public awareness on clinical developments and research in the full area of primary care optometry
Section Bylaws: Download in PDF Format