Please read and sign the membership pledge that follows. The Academy requires that you live up to this pledge.
Realizing that the American Academy of Optometry was founded in order to establish a distinctive nucleus of individuals endeavoring to develop and maintain the highest ideals and practices of professional life to the end that optometric science may be further developed and optometric services enhanced, I pledge myself as a condition of Membership in the Academy to support the following Standards of Conduct:
1. Members of the American Academy of Optometry shall be of good moral character and maintain the highest standards of our profession.
2. Members of the American Academy of Optometry shall accept responsibility for the consequences of their acts, make every effort to insure that their services are used appropriately and, when indicated, recommend alternate sources of care.
3. Members of the American Academy of Optometry shall maintain the highest degree of professional competence by rendering services, using techniques and providing opinions that meet the highest standards of practice.
4. The moral, ethical and legal standards of behavior of members are a personal matter to the same degree that they are for any other citizen, except as they may compromise the fulfillment of their professional responsibilities.
5. The professional standards of members of the Academy require that public statements, announcements and promotional activities not be deceptive, fraudulent or misleading.
I hereby agree and subscribe to the Articles as above written and have signed as acknowledgment thereof, and apply for Membership as thereof, and apply for Membership as herein stated.